“There is neither man or woman in this Church who is not on a mission. That mission will last as long as they live, and it is to do good, to promote righteousness, to teach the principles of truth, and to prevail upon themselves and everybody around them to live those principles that they may obtain eternal life."
YOUR ROLE IN A NUTSHELL:
- A Commissioned Representative
- Teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the World
- Help Others Make and Keep Covenants
- Serve with Obedience
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE COMMISSIONED:
Commission, noun, an instruction, command, or duty given to a person or group of people.
“We are commanded by God to take this gospel to all the world. That is the cause that must unite us today. Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self-destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family." - Ezra Taft Benson
You are a representative of Christ. Your actions reflect upon you, your Church, and the Savior. You are to act as if He were there doing the job you have been called to do.
TEACHING THE GOSPEL
- Must be taught through the Spirit (John 14:26, D&C 84:85, 2 Nephi 33:1, D&C 100:5–8)
- Know the fundamentals of the Gospel
- Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Holy Ghost
- The Plan of Salvation
- Happiness, Joy, Peace
HELPING OTHERS MAKE AND KEEP COVENANTS
“The first thing you will do when an investigator tells you he or she had not read and prayed about the Book of Mormon is be devastated! … Much of the time we are just too casual about all of this. This is eternal life. This is the salvation of the children of God. Eternity hangs in the balance. … It is the most important path this investigator will ever walk. But if he or she doesn’t know that, at least you do! … So take control of this situation. Teach with power and authority, and then be devastated if the first steps toward commandment-keeping and covenant-keeping have not been successfully begun."- Jeffery R. Holland
- The Commitment Pattern
- Know the qualifications for making covenants (D&C 20:37)
- Teach the obligations associated with the covenants
- Set up your investigators for success!
OBEDIENCE WITH EXACTNESS
- Serve with all your heart, might, mind, and strength (D&C 4:2)
- Learn to love the people you serve
- Live so that you can receive spiritual guidance (OBEY THE RULES!)
- Be a servant of the people and of your fellow missionaries
HOW TO STUDY EFFECTIVELY
“Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men."
- Previous Lesson on Effective Study
- Companionship Study
- Be COMMITTED
- Have a topic (Use the Missionary Guide)
- Use each other's strengths
- Make studying a HABIT
- Approach the scriptures from multiple angles