“Salvation cannot come without revelation; it is in vain for anyone to minister without it”
- Moroni 7:16
- D&C 84:46-47
- D&C 130:22
- John 14:26
- Moroni 10:5
- “There is a difference between the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Cornelius received the Holy Ghost before he was baptized, which was the convincing power of God unto him of the truth of the Gospel, but he could not receive the gift of the Holy Ghost until after he was baptized. Had he not taken this sign or ordinance upon him, the Holy Ghost which convinced him of the truth of God, would have left him” (History of the Church, 4:555)
- “The gift of the Holy Ghost comes after one repents and becomes worthy. … The Holy Ghost bears witness of the truth and impresses upon the soul the reality of God the Father and the Son Jesus Christ so deeply that no earthly power or authority can separate him from that knowledge.” -James E. Faust
WHO IS THE HOLY GHOST
The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a personage of spirit, without a body of flesh and bones. He is often referred to as the Spirit, the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, the Spirit of the Lord, or the Comforter.
WHAT ARE THE ROLES OF THE HOLY GHOST
Conference Talk: "The Sacred Role of the Holy Ghost" by Elder Kevin R. Duncan
HOW DO I RECOGNIZE THAT I AM FEELING THE HOLY GHOST?
“The voice of the Spirit is described in the scripture as being neither ‘loud’ nor ‘harsh.’ It is ‘not a voice of thunder, neither … voice of a great tumultuous noise.’ But rather, ‘a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper,’ and it can ‘pierce even to the very soul’ and ‘cause [the heart] to burn.’ The Spirit does not get our attention by shouting or shaking us with a heavy hand. Rather it whispers. It caresses so gently that if we are preoccupied we may not feel it at all. (No wonder that the Word of Wisdom was revealed to us, for how could the drunkard or the addict feel such a voice?). Occasionally it will press just firmly enough for us to pay heed. But most of the time, if we do not heed the gentle feeling, the Spirit will withdraw and wait until we come seeking and listening and say in our manner and expression."
-Boyd K. Packer
GIFTS OF THE HOLY GHOST
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-10
- Discerning Spirits
- The Unspeakable Gift, Joseph B. Wirthlin
- Helping Children Recognize the Holy Ghost, Merrilee Brown Boyack
- Help Them On Their Way Home, Henry B. Eyring
- The Cloven Tongues of Fire, Boyd K. Packer